Canopy (building)-is an overhead roof or else a structure over with covering, able to provide shade or shelter from weather conditions such as sun, hail, snow and rain. A canopy can also be a tent, generally without a floor. The word comes from the Ancient Greek κωνώπειον (konópeion, “cover to keep insects off”), from κώνωψ (kónops, “cone-face”), which is a bahuvrihi compound meaning “mosquito”. The first ‘o’ changing into ‘a’ may be due to influence from the place name Canopus, Egypt thought of as a place of luxuries.
Architectural canopies include projections giving protection from the weather, or merely decoration. Such canopies are supported by the building to which they are attached and often also by a ground mounting provided by not less than two stanchions, or upright support posts.
Canopies can also stand alone, such as a fabric covered gazebo or cabana. Fabric canopies can meet various design needs. Many modern fabrics are long-lasting, bright, easily cleaned, strong and flame-retardant. This material can be vinyl, acrylic, polyester or canvas. Modern frame materials offer high strength-to-weight ratios and corrosion resistance. The proper combination of these properties can result in safe, strong, economical and attractive products.
canopy may refer to 活動帳篷
- (aircraft), transparent enclosure over aircraft cockpit
- (biology), aboveground portion of plant community or crop (including forests)
- (building), overhead roof or structure that provides shade or other shelter
- (film), a 2013 Australian war film
- (grape), aboveground portion of grapevine
- (hotel), a brand within the corporate structure of Hilton Worldwide
- (parachute), cloth and suspension line portion of parachute
- Group, U.S. investment firm
- of state, cloth or permanent architectural feature that hangs over altar or throne as symbol of authority
- Camper shell, raised, rigid covering for the rear bed of a pickup truck
- Chuppah, used in Jewish wedding ceremonies
- Honda Canopy, three-wheeled automobile from Honda
- Motorola Canopy, wireless broadband solutions
- OP , Canadian Forces Operation
- Umbraculum’, awarded by pope to basilicas
- Vapor canopy, creationist idea that earth was surrounded by a “canopy” of water
- Vehicle , type of overhead door for vehicle